RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT STREAM
The Research and Development Stream focuses on applied research relevant to population health and the delivery of health services in rural and remote settings.
The research stream of the BHUDRH specifically focuses on research that relates to remote and regionally specific issues and/or populations. This may include research that has a remote component within a broader research and development issue.
Core research topics include:
- Workforce education, training and development (eg. Service Learning)
- Access to and impact of health services (eg. Palliative Care)
- Models of primary health care delivery (eg. Health Hubs)
- Chronic disease prevention (eg. Healthy BH)
- Environmental health (eg. Lead Management Program)
- Jones, D., S. Randall, D. White, D L.M. Darley, G. Schaefer, J. Wellington, A. Thomas and D. Lyle. (2021). "Embedding Public Health Advocacy into the Role of School-Based Nurses: Addressing the Health Inequities Confronted by Vulnerable Australian Children and Adolescent Populations." Australian Journal of Primary Health, 27(2): 67-70. https://doi.org/10.1071/PY20155.
- Jones, M., S. Walsh, D. Lyle, K. Schlicht and R. Gray. (2021). "Behavioural activation for depression in rural Australia: Challenges And Opportunities." Australian Journal of Rural Health.
Klinner, C., P. Bennett and C. Hooker. (2021). "Engaging Medical Students with Art: What’s the Point?" MedEdPublish, 10(1): 105.
- Sanford, C., E. Saurman, S. Dennis and D. Lyle. (2021). "'We’re definitely that link': the role of school-based primary health care registered nurses in a rural community." Australian Journal of Primary Health, 27(2): 76-82. https://doi.org/10.1071/PY20149.
- Attar, W. S. A. A., O. Faude, M. A. Husain, N. Soomro and R. H. Sanders. (INPRESS 2021). "Combining the Copenhagen Adduction Exercise and Nordic Hamstring Exercise Improve Dynamic Balance Among Male Athletes: A Randomized Controlled Trial." Sports Health Early Online.
- Lyle, D. M., F. T. Boreland and S. J. Quartermain. (INPRESS 2021). "Blood lead levels among Broken Hill children born 2009-2015: Implications for the Broken Hill Environment Lead Program." Public Health Research and Practice Early Online.
- Saurman, E., S. Allingham, K. Draper, J. Edwards, J. Moody, D. Hooper, K. Kneen, J. Connolly and K. Eagar. (INPRESS 2021). "Preferred place of death – a study of two specialist community palliative care services in Australia." Journal of Palliative Care Early Online.
- Aggar, C., B. Mozolic-Staunton, R. J. Lovi, M. Scorey, M. Kemp, T. Walker and S. Lewis (2020). "An interprofessional clinical placement in a primary healthcare setting: a pilot study." The Internet Journal of Allied Health Sciences and Practice 18(1).
- Aggar, C., B. Mozolic-Staunton, M. Scorey, M. Kemp, R. Lovi, S. Lewis, T. Walker and T. Thomas (2020). "Interprofessional primary healthcare student placements: Qualitative findings from a mixed-method evaluation." International Journal of Work-Integrated Learning 21(3): 223-234.
- Bennett, P., A. B. S. Cook and N. Soomro (2020). "Reinvigorating the Role of Spirituality in Patient-Centered Care: Islam as a doorway to increased understanding of patient spirituality." MedEdPublish 9(1). https://doi.org/10.15694/mep.2020.000273.1
- Currie, D. J., C. Q. Peng, D. M. Lyle, B. A. Jameson and M. S. Frommer (2020). "Stemming the flow: how much can the Australian smartphone app help to control COVID-19?" Public Health Research and Practice 30(2): e3022009. doi: 10.17061/phrp3022009
- Jones, D., L. McAllister, S. Randall, D. Lyle, D. White, A. Smith, B. Dyson, D. Hampton, M. Goldsworthy and A. Rowe (2020). "The Case for Integrated Health and Community Literacy to Achieve Community Responsive Healthcare: An inclusive approach to addressing rural and remote health inequities and community healthcare expectations." Primary Health Care Research and Development 21: e57. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1463423620000481
- Lower, T., L. Kinsman, M. Dinh, D. Lyle, R. Cheney, Julaine, A. Munro, B. Taylor, J. Wiggers, A. Bailey, L. Weller, A. Jacob and A. Stephens (2020). "Patterns of Emergency Department Utilisation in Rural and Metropolitan New South Wales 2012 to 2018." Australian Journal of Rural Health 28(5): 490-499. https://doi.org/10.1111/ajr.12668
- Moreton, S., E. Saurman, G. Salkeld, J. Edwards, D. Hooper, K. Kneen, G. Rothwell and J. Watson (2020). "Economic and clinical outcomes of the Nurse Practitioner-led Sydney Adventist Hospital Community Palliative Care Service." Australian Health Review 44(5): 791-798. doi:10.1071/AH19247
- Schmidt, D., J. Reyment, S. Kirby, E. Webster and D. Lyle (2020). "The place of research in the rural health workplace structure: a content analysis of a rural health organisation's strategic and operational documents." Rural and Remote Health 20: 5493. https://doi.org/10.22605/RRH5493
- Schmidt, D., J. Reyment, E. Webster, S. Kirby and D. Lyle (2020). "Workplace-based health research training: a qualitative study of perceived needs in a rural setting." Health Research Policy and Systems 18(1). doi:10.1186/s12961-020-00580-2
- Walsh, S., D. Lyle, S. C. Thompson, V. L. Versace, L. J. Brown, S. Knight, S. Pit and M. Jones (2020). "The role of national policies to address rural allied health, nursing, and dentistry workforce maldistribution: A scoping review " MJA 213: S18-S22.
- Wenham, S., M. Cumming and E. Saurman (2020). "Improving palliative and end-of-life care for rural and remote Australians." Public Health Research and Practice 30(1): e3012001. doi:10.17061/phrp3012001
- Whitelaw, L., K. Hammond, M. Cumming, K. Mansfield and E. Saurman (2020). "The Direct Access Colonoscopy Clinic: improving time to colonoscopy for eligible +FOBT patients in Broken Hill NSW." Australian Journal of Rural Health 28: 81-86. https://doi-org.ezproxy.library.sydney.edu.au/10.1111/ajr.12569
- Edwards, J., D. Hooper, G. Rothwell, K. Kneen, J. Watson and E. Saurman (2019). "A Nurse Practitioner-led Community Palliative Care Service in Australia – a narrative report." International Journal of Palliative Nursing 25(5): 245-253. doi:10.12968/ijpn.2019.25.5.245
- Held, F. P., C. Roberts, M. Daly and C. Brunero (2019). "Learning relationships in community-based service-learning: a social network analysis " BMC Medical Education. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12909-019-1522-1
- Jones, D., J. Ballard, R. Dyson, P. Macbeth, D. Lyle, P. Sunny, A. Thomas and I. Sharma (2019). "A Community Engaged Primary Healthcare Strategy to Address Rural School Student Inequities: A Descriptive Paper." Primary Health Care Research and Development 20(e26): 1-6. doi:10.1017/S1463423618000907
- Saurman, E., D. Lyle, S. Wenham and M. Cumming (2019). "A mapping study to guide a palliative approach to care." Rural and Remote Health 19(2): 4625. doi:10.22605/RRH4625
- Sheerin, N., M. Kerr, L. Hardy, V. Sinka, E. Hodson, D. Lyle, M. Dickson and C. Jonathan (2019). "Sun-342 The Ardac Kidney Health Initiative: An Aboriginal Health Service Approach To Detection And Prevention Of Chronic Kidney Disease." Kidney International Reports 4(7): S302-S303. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ekir.2019.05.753
- Soomro, N., N. Asif, D. Lyle, D. Mills and R. Sanders (2019). "Could a new method of exposure quantification be the standard for cricket injury epidemiology?" New Zealand Journal of Sports Medicine 46(1): 16-27. doi:10.15761/EMCC.1000111
- Soomro, N., M. Chhaya, M. Soomro, N. Asif, E. Saurman, D. Lyle and R. Sanders (2019). "Design, Development, and Evaluation of an Injury Surveillance App for Cricket: Protocol and Qualitative Study." JMIR mHealth and uHealth 7(1): e10978. doi:10.2196/10978
- Soomro, N., N. Chua, J. Freeston, R. Ferdinands and R. Sanders (2019). "Cluster Randomized Control Trial for Cricket Injury Prevention Program (CIPP): A Protocol Paper." BMJ Injury Prevention 25(3): 166-174. doi:10.1136/injuryprev-2017-042518
- Ali, K., S. Adil, N. Soomro, S. Kalam and A. Bibi (2018). "Drug compliance and its associated factors among hypertensive patients in Pakistan; A Cross-Sectional Study." Hospital Pharmacy 53(6): 389-392. https://doi.org/10.1177/0018578718758971
- Barclay, L., A. Phillips and D. Lyle (2018). "Rural and remote health research: does the investment match the need?" Australian Journal of Rural Health 26(2): 74-79. doi:10.1111/ajr.12429
- Bennett, P. and C. Hooker (2018). "What artists value when providing workshops for clinical students in a regional training setting: A qualitative study." Journal of Applied Art and Health 9(3): 319-335. doi:10.1386/jaah.9.3.319_1
- Humphreys, J., D. Lyle and V. Barlow (2018). "University Departments of Rural Health: Is a national network of multidisciplinary academic departments in Australia making a difference?" Rural and Remote Health 4315. https://doi.org/10.22605/RRH4315
- Jones, D., L. McAllister, R. Dyson and D. Lyle (2018). "Service-Learning Partnerships: Features that promote transformational engagement and sustainable rural and remote health partnerships and services." Australian Journal of Rural Health 26(2): 80-85. doi:10.1111/ajr.12381
- Jones, D., L. McAllister and D. Lyle (2018). "Rural and Remote Australian Speech-Language Service Inequities: An Australian Human Rights Dilemma." International Journal of Speech-Language Pathology 20(1): 98-101. https://doi.org/10.1080/17549507.2018.1400103
- Kirby, S., F. P. Held, D. Jones and D. Lyle (2018). "Growing health partnerships in rural and remote communities: What drives the joint efforts of primary schools and universities in maintaining service learning partnerships?" Primary Health Care Research and Development 19(5): 503-517. doi:10.1017/S146342361700086X
- Kirby, S., D. Lyle, D. Jones, C. Brunero, A. Purcell and P. Dettwiller (2018). "Design and delivery of an innovative speech pathology service-learning program for primary school children in Far West NSW, Australia." Public Health Research and Practice 28(3): e28231806. PHRP Excellence Award 2019 - Best Paper. doi:10.17061/phrp28231806
- Koc, E., B. Karademir, N. Soomro and F. Uzun (2018). "The effects of smoking and tea consumption on urinary fluoride levels." Fluoride 51(1): 75-87.
- Lyle, D. and J. Greenhill (2018). "Two Decades of Building Capacity in Rural Health Education, Training and Research in Australia: University Departments of Rural Health and Rural Clinical Schools." Australian Journal of Rural Health 26(5): 303-378. doi:10.1111/ajr.12470
- Pancer, Z., M. Moore, J. Wenham and M. Burridge (2018). "The challenge of generalist care in remote Australia: beyond aeromedical retrieval." Australian Journal of Rural Health 26(3): 188-193. https://doi.org/10.1111/ajr.12385
- Soomro, N., N. Asif, D. Lyle, P. Mills and R. Sanders (2018). "Could a new method of injury quantification be the standard for cricket injury epidemiology? Injury rates among Australian schoolboy cricketers." Emergency Medicine and Critical Care 1(2): Online. doi:10.15761/EMCC.1000111
- Soomro, N., G. Fitzgerald, J. Seeley, E. Schatz, J. Nachega and J. Negin (2018). "Comparison of Antiretroviral Therapy Adherence Among HIV- Infected Older Adults with Younger Adults in Africa: Systematic Review and Meta-analysis " AIDS and Behavior Open Access: 1-14. doi:10.1007/s10461-018-2196-0
- Soomro, N., D. Hackett, J. Freeston, P. Blanch, A. Kountouris, J. Dipnall, D. Lyle and R. Sanders (2018). "How do Australian Coaches Train Fast Bowlers? A Survey on Physical Conditioning and Workload Management Practices for Training Fast Bowlers." International Journal of Sports Science & Coaching 13(5): 761-770. https://doi.org/10.1177/1747954118790128
- Soomro, N., D. Redrup, C. Evans, L. Starisotto, S. Singh, H. Singh, D. Lyle, R. Ferdinands and R. Sanders (2018). "Injury rate and patterns of Sydney Grade Cricketers: A prospective study of injuries in 408 cricketers." BMJ Postgraduate Medical Journal 94(1114): 425-431. doi:10.1136/postgradmedj-2018-135861
- Soomro, N., L. Strasiotto, T. Sawdagar, D. Lyle, D. Mills, R. Ferdinands and R. Sanders (2018). "Cricket Injury Epidemiology in the Twenty-First Century: What is the Burden?" Sports Medicine 48(10): 2301-2316. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40279-018-0960-y
- AlAttar, W., N. Soomro, P. Sinclair, E. Pappas and R. Sanders (2017). "Adding a post-training FIFA 11+ exercise program to the pre-training FIFA 11+ injury prevention program reduces injury rates among male amateur soccer players: a cluster-randomised trial." Journal of Physiotherapy 63(4): 235-242. doi:10.1016/j.jphys.2017.08.004
- Kim, S., P. Macaskill, E. Hodson, J. Daylight, R. Williams, R. Kearns, N. Vukasin, D. Lyle and J. Craig (2017). "Beginning the trajectory to ESKD in adult life: albuminuria in Australian aboriginal children and adolescents." Pediatric Nephrology 32(1): 119-129. doi:10.1007/s00467-016-3429-y
- Lyle, D., E. Saurman, S. Kirby, D. Jones, J. Humphreys and J. Wakerman (2017). "What do evaluations tell us about implementing new models in rural and remote primary health care? Findings from a narrative analysis of seven service evaluations conducted by an Australian Centre of Research Excellence." Rural and Remote Health 17(3926). doi:10.22605/RRH3296
- Moore, M., C. Roberts, J. Newbury and J. Crossley (2017). "Am I getting an accurate picture: a tool to assess clinical handover in remote settings?" BMC Medical Education 17(1): 213. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12909-017-1067-0
- Rappell, N. and D. Schmidt (2017). "Rolling-group Lidcombe Program: Perspectives from participant clinicians in a community-based cohort study." Journal of Clinical Practice in Speech-Language Pathology 19(2): 82-87.
- Rappell, N. and D. Schmidt (2017). "Rolling-group Lidcombe Program delivery: A prospective cohort study in community health settings." Journal of Clinical Practice in Speech-Language Pathology 19(2): 76-81.
- Roberts, C., M. Daly, F. Held and D. Lyle (2017). "Social learning in a longitudinal integrated clinical placement." Advances in Health Sciences Education 22(4): 1011-1029. doi:10.1007/s10459-016-9740-3
- Wenham, J., P. Bennett and W. Gleeson (2017). "Crash Simulation: an immersive learning model." The Clinical Teacher 14: 1-5. https://doi.org/10.1111/tct.12744
- Wenham, J., M. Moore and Z. Pancer (2017). "Holistic medicine provision in the outback." Medical Journal of Australia 206(4): 155-156. https://doi.org/10.5694/mja16.00749